Monday, February 13, 2012

What are you thinking?

Peaceful morning,

I want you to start this morning by stopping whatever you are doing right now and close your eyes, empty your mind, and take a deep breath. Exhale slowly. If it felt good do it more than once. Clear your mind and heart and just focus on breathing.

This morning I was talking with a co-worker about mental health. I personally feel that your mind is the most powerful organ in your body. It dictates how you live, how you die, and how you feel. There are not many commercials that address this subject and the one that I have seen is a cartoon. Why is there no campaign for mental health? It’s not until we lose someone of significance that we even think about what they were thinking. After someone is gone, you hear “You never know what someone is going through”. Why don’t we know? Why is it that we are not constantly checking in with each other? Why are we not sharing so that others do not feel as if it’s just them? They say sharing is caring so is it that we really don’t care? Maybe it’s that sharing is showing a sign of weakness. We need to get over this and save our people. When I say “Our People”, I mean the human race. Touch base with your family and friends more often. Send text messages, FB notes, cards, or phone calls just to let someone know that they are loved and being thought about daily. I know that we will not be able to save everyone but that shouldn’t stop us from trying. There is someone that has been in your shoes and KNOWING that you are not alone can make a world of difference.

My aunt and I had a talk and I found that we have even more in common than I thought. We were not talking about anything earth shattering. It was refreshing opening up to her and her understanding how I felt. I know that I can tell my aunts anything but I tend to keep my business to myself. I hate feeling vulnerable. It makes me feel like I’m running completely naked down I-10 during rush hour. I don’t like it. I am trying to be more open and be ok with it but it’s still difficult. The thing is I’m comfortable with me. I can handle my happy and the not so great sides of me. I have learned how to solve most problems myself. What I’m not comfortable with is sharing. I can share things that have happened but my current feelings not so much. If I’m happy I will be quick to say it but if I’m in my feelings I will keep to myself. I feel like why burden you with my sad moment? I just man up and get through it.

Well I’m here to say SHARE!!!!!!! Get one person, a group, or go and see a professional. Get all the help you can. Your mental health is what guides your life. Whatever else you have going on your mind can make it better or worse. Think about it like this. There’s an older couple and the wife passes. The husband is so heartbroken that he deteriorates right in front of everyone and soon passes himself. Something in his mind decided that life couldn’t go on without that other person. This is why I tell you to focus on what you want because if your train your mind to do something then it will continue to do it on its own. I didn’t start out always happy. I struggled for a long time. One day I decided that I was going to be happy. I made this decision in the midst of a storm. I decided that I was always going to focus on the blessings. When I am faced with sad, I began to verbalize all that I do have. I want to hear me say it. It’s like recycling the thoughts. It confirms that I am trippin’ and everything will be fine. Reach out to help others and yourself.

I hope today you focus on your happy. Your life depends on it.

AND remember just because you are not physically sick doesn’t mean that you are healthy.

MAKE IT GREAT!

E

No comments:

Post a Comment